If I wait to take pictures so that I only capture the exciting, the memorable, the worth-looking-at, then I will never take any at all. Life is, after all, more mundane than exciting; more ordinary than extraordinary; more to be savoured moment-by-moment than endured for the next great excitement. And so I post here both mundane and memorable, as they come my way.

11 September 2006

London

Thanks to a helpful link from our friend James, I can tell you that the rocket-shaped building is the Swiss Re building, and its primary function is commercial/office space. And while I like the office I work in, I think I would like it even more if it looked like this. Also, this building was pictured in the season 2 premier of Doctor Who, and the aliens very rudely broke out all the windows. Anyway, we were standing on the Tower Bridge when Chad took this picture.

And this is the Tower Bridge itself.

The Tower of London, right next to the Tower Bridge.

A guard in front of Buckingham Palace.

They have these helpful notices printed on the streets in most of town, so that tourists won't be flattened because they looked the wrong way before crossing, and therefore didn't see the double-decker bus coming from the other direction.

We actually have a better picture of Westminister Abbey, but my Photobucket account is not cooperating. But this is the main entrance.

The driver of this bus must have seen that I have "Les Miserables Rules" printed across my forehead, and stopped so that I could take a picture, which was very kind. Actually I was delighted to get this shot. There are adverts up all over London for Les Mis, saying that it is about to become the longest-running musical in the world. And if we'd had more time, I probably would have dragged Chad into the nearest theatre to see it.

This is just one of several hundred signposts up around London. I put in the large version to make it readable; the arm just up from the bottom one is pointing to Westminister Abbey.

Just buses, nothing exciting, but we were standing in front of the Houses of Parliment at this point.

Big Ben

The London Eye, right next to the Thames. Apparently you can get a brilliant view of London from this thing, but they will charge you an exhorbitant amount of money to get on it. It was originally meant to be a 5-year exhibit kind of thing, but it turns out people quite like it, so I think it's now going to be more or less permanent. Also? I was still living in this country when they built it.

At the end of the day, we were seriously ready for bed. And this is us in our sleeper car.

The outside of the train. We were in car E, berths 5 & 6 (two beds in each room, but each bed is called a berth).

And the sign that welcomed us to Euston, right before we left London.

No comments: